Thursday 23 February 2017

Kaleidoscope (Colorado Mountains #6) By Kristen Ashley



For years, Jacob Decker couldn't get out of his mind the woman he let slip through his fingers.

The problem was, he was wrong about which woman he let get away.

But when he meets Emmanuelle Holmes again on a sidewalk in Gnaw Bone, Colorado, things quickly start becoming clearer. And Deck now has new problems seeing as Emme has a boyfriend. A boyfriend he instantly doesn't like. A boyfriend he soon discovers there are a variety of reasons not to like.

That isn't the only challenge Deck faces as he discovers his Emme is a puzzle he's having trouble solving. Warm and sweet then distant and clueless, Emme holds Deck close even as she pushes him away.

But Deck doesn't like unsolved puzzles. And he'll stop at nothing to discover the solution to the mystery of Emmanuelle Holmes.


I only read this was Deck's book and had to ONE CLICK it, especially after reading in Book 7 (Yes, I missed a book or two) that he was with someone. 

So....

I don't know how to feel about this book. I LOVED these characters. I really did. Emma started off as an independent woman. She's fixing up a bloody mansion by herself for crying out loud. She's doing poorly, but hell, she's doing it. The lights go out in my house and I call my mom LOL So power to Emma. 

Deke is... I don't even know what Deke is but he's good with computers and works for the police on occasions to catch the bad guys. The bad guy at this point happens to be the person Emma is dating. 
Don't worry, there's no love triangle, Emma finishes with him pretty quickly. But he doesn't like the fact she's broken up with him. 
He dated her best friend when they were younger until her friend cheated and dumped him. He ended up ditching the both of them.
I thought for sure this was going to be the same MO as her other novels, but it wasn't. He was pretty much out of the picture after getting arrested. 

But it was the whole Emma thing that got me worked up. I liked her, or I tried really hard to towards the end but I couldn't. 
You see, Emma was kidnapped at a young age by a man grieving his dead daughter, who Emma happened to look like. She doesn't really remember much apart from him being nice and taking her to the police station where she was handed over to her distraught parents.
But... Yes, another but. 
She SPEAKS to her kidnapper. When he was released from prison she tracked him down and became FRIENDS with him. 
I didn't get it. 
I don't think I could ever get it. 
The man was harmless, yes, but she was a child at the time and must have been scared out of her wits end if she didn't remember her time there with him. He could have done anything. 
However, this is one of the reasons. The other is the fact it clearly defined her future since she doesn't let anyone in, not really. I knew that was why she pushed Deck and friends away before they become to close. 

BUT then... 

Deck told Emma he was working away and had business to attend to, which he kind of did. But then, Emma drives over to her kidnappers but stops of at the coffee shop on the way, seeing him with his ex, her ex best friend and she loses it. 

Me? This is where I'd kick him to the curb just like she did. But then they hash it out and he BLAMES her mental illness and gets mad at HER. Like he had the right. She saw him there with his ex and he gets mad at her. Instead of just explaining and owning up to his shit, he got mad at her. It got me so worked up and knocked points off Deck. 

Although, Emma did drive me nuts most of the time and I couldn't really blame his frustration with her. It kind of killed the book for me, which is the reason it's getting a low rating.  

3*

Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment