Saturday 15 October 2016

The Goal (Off-Campus Book Four) By Elle Kennedy



She’s good at achieving her goals…

College senior Sabrina James has her whole future planned out: graduate from college, kick butt in law school, and land a high-paying job at a cutthroat firm. Her path to escaping her shameful past certainly doesn’t include a gorgeous hockey player who believes in love at first sight. One night of sizzling heat and surprising tenderness is all she’s willing to give John Tucker, but sometimes, one night is all it takes for your entire life to change.

But the game just got a whole lot more complicated

Tucker believes being a team player is as important as being the star. On the ice, he’s fine staying out of the spotlight, but when it comes to becoming a daddy at the age of twenty-two, he refuses to be a bench warmer. It doesn’t hurt that the soon-to-be mother of his child is beautiful, whip-smart, and keeps him on his toes. The problem is, Sabrina’s heart is locked up tight, and the fiery brunette is too stubborn to accept his help. If he wants a life with the woman of his dreams, he’ll have to convince her that some goals can only be made with an assist.


Okay, I have to be honest, I have mixed feelings over this book. 
I felt like it dragged a lot but that said, it was fun getting to see how the two ended up together as such. 
I do think their relationship needed to step up a little more. The mixed signals and back and forth with commitment and what they wanted drove me mad. The book was concentrated more on them actually getting together than focusing on them actually together, which I would have liked to have seen more of. 

That said, I still liked it. I loved Tucker from the beginning. I really did. But Sabrina, I just couldn't get on with her character. She annoyed the hell out of me. Not only has she gotten around enough to know which lads are assholes, but she admits to herself that Tucker is different to the rest, yet, she keeps him at arms length. 

Then we have the silence stretched between them when she found out she was pregnant. Instead of including Tucker in the decision, she made it herself. And for someone who wants independence and a better future, she fucked up here big time for me. She just ignored him. It's what made me dislike her. 

The story plot was okay. But like I said above, it was slow, it dragged and even the birthing scene, although emotional, was rushed. All she had was him there, no one else. No flowers, teddies, cards or visitors or people waiting outside. The scene almost felt like a transaction and not life being brought into the world. 

I do think the author was spot on with the struggles of being a mother. And although Sabrina wasn't a single mother, and had help from Tucker, it was her who was up all night with her since they never lived together. I think she wrote the struggles with juggling school, work and a child perfectly. Because it isn't peaches and roses. It's hard, but like Elle shows in her work, the end is beautiful. 

My favourite part, and the reason I rate it a 3.5 is because of the love Tucker had for her. He may have had his partying ways but that boy was a man, a gentlemen and loyal to no fault. He really got put through the ringer with Sabrina, but he kept in there, staying loyal and I really loved that about the book and his character. 

The ending was perfect too. Seeing everyone spread out, living their dreams and getting their HEA. 

3.5*

Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment