Thursday 21 July 2016

Pure (A Covenant novel #2) By Jennifer L. Armentrout



There is need. And then there is Fate. Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's other half is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon--and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude--or killing her. When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


First off, I hate what happens to Caleb. Why? One, because it sucked and he was my favourite character but the other reason is because of something Aiden says to Alex. He tells her that she is in control of her own fate, that the Oracle isn't in control and gets to say what happens in her life. But, so far, everything the Oracle has said has come true. I don't know, I guess I wanted that to be true for Alex because of everything she and her kind has to go through. 

In this book we get to see the real power pure's hold over the half-bloods. What I don't get is why. The half-bloods are stronger, they belong their more if you ask me yet, no one cares. 
When there's a war at the council the servants who are half-bloods drugged up and made into slaves (There is only two choices for half-bloods. You either become a sentinel/guard or you become a slave) they are left for dead, literally. They have no way of protecting themselves because they are controlled by their masters. I hated it. Knowing they were completely defenseless and no one even gave them a second thought. It drove me mad, especially since they are the people who serve them and protect the pure's. You'd think they'd have more consideration. If I was a half-blood, I'd refuse to protect them, because hell, they don't deserve it. I think that's the one thing I DISLIKE about this book the most. I don't get WHY they have to make a choice. I wouldn't protect their pompus asses. 

Next, Seth takes Alex to the council meeting, only one, and they sneak in the top balcony, looking down, when they bring up the pure blood and the half-blood that were mentioned in the first book getting caught in a relationship. The pure tried his hardest to protect this girl and they killed him. I think Seth did this not to protect Alex but to get her more dependent on him. Their bond is meant to get stronger the more time they spend together and it is, slowly. She gets her first awakening mark because of this. I think he's sly and I don't trust him. I honestly think he knows everything that is going to happen to Alex after she awakens and that he's using her for her powers. It's obvious she's more powerful, she just hasn't come into those powers yet. He also pushes all his time on her. 

I still don't know what to think about the story line. Sometimes it can be so interesting, especially since I actually understood the God mythology in this one, but then there are times I wish Alex would stop moping, leave Seth and punch him in the face and desperately wish she'd stop forgetting the things she should be questioning. It annoyed me to no end. 

The other thing that come up, which I guessed straight off, is Alex's dad being alive. I knew right away that this was going to happen from the minute she lays her eyes on him. I even guessed he was a half-blood, her mother being a pure blood and that's why she's an apollyon. I think that's why the Pure's don't want the half's fraternizing with the pures, because they know they'll make a new, stronger breed that will overrule them and the Gods. Most of the pure's at the council are stuck in their old ways and won't accept change, only more division between the two... 

I did enjoy this one a little more, but only because of the war that breaks out at the end. I loved the action and the fact she wasn't with Seth. He's beginning to drive me nuts LOL I also don't trust her Uncle or step father either, both have alternative motives as to why they want Alex to stay with them. I have few guesses but none that I want to mention just yet. 

I wish I did this one as a group read, so that I could talk about this book with other readers as we finish each book, see what they think. It would be good to know what their thoughts are on this. 

3.5*

Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment