Monday 1 December 2014

Beat #1 By Amity Cross



Renee "Ren" Miller was five when her Dad left to go to the shops and never came back.
Left to grow up with a cancer riddled mother, things have never been easy for a teenager who had to be wise beyond her years. Then one day they lose the battle and she's all alone.
Now twenty-two, Ren reluctantly goes to find her estranged father. He owns the down and out boxing studio Beat, and Ren finds herself drawn to the ring. She thrives on learning a new way of fighting a life that kept kicking her down...instead of struggling against the current, she kicks it right between the legs.
Then one day Ash Fuller, her Dad's star fighter comes back to town. Mysterious, handsome... Dangerous... Everything Ren doesn't need.
But he's got other ideas...
...and so does she


I got this from my blog on the favorite MMA novels read this year. 
I'm stuck in the middle of whether I enjoyed it or whether I disliked it. There wasn't anything wrong with the story plot, the story is great, although it did feel like it dragged in some places. I also don't get the whole MMA genre when there really isn't any MMA in here. There's underground fighting, which I don't agree with. It's brutal and Amity Cross is brilliant at getting us to picture the scene she's created. 
The only problem I found with writing is that she used the word 'WAS' a lot. To me 'WAS' is past tense. Amity Cross uses it for present tense all the time, which kind of confused me. Though easily ignored. 

Other than the fact it dragged a little the story was really good and interesting. I do want to know more about the mystery of Ash and why flips the way he does. It's kind of scary if you've read it. I loved the fact that Ren could calm him down. The chemistry between the two was off the charts hot. 
I also HATE Ren's half sister with a passion. And it's not just because she's a B I T C H. 
Then there is the whole situation with her mother dying, her father running out on her at 5 years old and then her father moving on with another family and not bothering with her again. That made me feel sick and actually cry my eyes out. I don't know how she held her anger back on him. I could see why she loved to punch her anger out because even I reading the book wanted to punch something. 
How she can stay there when he disowned her for a new family is shocking.I wouldn't be able to look him in the eye without wanting to stick my finger in the sockets LOL that's how angry the situation made me. 

3.5* 
I can't wait to read the next in the series and find out what happens. Amity leaves us with a massive cliffhanger. 

Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment