Thursday 9 October 2014

Toxic (Ruin #2) By Rachel Van Dyken





Gabe Hyde is on borrowed time. He's been hiding his identity for over four years-hidden from the world that used to adore him--obsess over him--driven to the edge of insanity by one poor choice.

But that one choice, altered the course of his life forever.

Pretending isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially when pretending means hiding your real self from the people that care about you the most. But if anyone ever discovered the truth it wouldn't just be his life at risk--but hers.

Saylor doesn't hate men.

Just Gabe.

Only Gabe.

He's a reckless, happy-go-lucky, silver spoon fed pain in her ass. Everything about him makes her more and more confused. Unfortunately they both donate time at the same Group Home. If she wasn't afraid of flunking, she'd be long gone. She hates that she's attracted to him almost as much as he hates that he's attracted to her--and she can tell, especially since their first encounter ended up making her knees so weak she couldn't form coherent sentences for weeks afterwards. But the closer she gets to him, the more confused she becomes. He isn't who he says he is, and he's hiding something big.

What happen when two worlds collide? Two worlds that never should have met in the first place? Some secrets are too big to be hidden forever--the only question? Will his destroy everyone he loves? Or finally bring about the redemption he's been craving for the past four years?

Everyone has a secret...What's yours?



This book kept me guessing all the way through. Every time I thought I knew his story, something else would come up and completely confuse me again. 

Toxic is a fitting name for the book. He thinks he's toxic, she thinks he's toxic but both for different reasons. Hers is because he consumes her thoughts and his because he thinks he's toxic to those around him. 
He made a promise to Wes when he was in hospital to be a better person. Only thing is, Gabe is stopping himself from becoming that person because he thinks he can't make up for the wrongs he did. Only, he had no wrongs in my eyes to fix. His child hood wasn't the best, although he lived a dream doing what he loved, it was forced upon him. 
You know when a kid misbehaves and there's always someone that will say I blame the parents well, in this book this truly is the case. I always say a child's behavior has nothing to do with the parents if the parents are doing nothing but their best. In this case, his actions were all because of his dad. I hated the man when I finally got the whole story. 

The book is funny, Gabe's humor really didn't let us down, even Lisa had me laughing a few times. 
What really had my heartbreaking was the sad moments. I cried so much during the end of this that I've still got sore eyes this morning. I thought Ruin was the saddest book I'd read, but this book is a completely different tear jerker. It's about loss, about moving forward, about forgiving. It was truly emotional ride to read. 

We get to meet Princess in this book and because I don't want to give anything away I'm just going to say I loved her character so bloody much. 
I also loved Saylor's brother who has downs-syndrome. He made me laugh, awwww and wishing I could meet him. My kids have a little girl with it in their school and oh my god, she's the most beautiful, most funniest, bright little girl I've ever met. My kids adore her, the school adore her and she's such a bright little girl to be around. 

This is another book that there aren't many words to explain how good it is, it's not a depressing novel, one you'll read with sad songs playing in the background, it's one that will have you laughing, enjoying it, loving it, breathing it and totally addicted to it. It also helps that Gabe is completely HOT!!! I love his personality, I wouldn't care what he looked like as long as he made me laugh like he does in the book. Total genius is Rachel, she truly knows how to suck her readers in until their bursting for more. Which I am, because I'm totally reading Shame next, which is the third installment ;) 

5* for Rachel. I just wish she'd stop making me cry dammit lol 

Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment