Friday 4 July 2014

Break Through By Amber Garza






At the age of eight, Aspen Fairchild is kidnapped. Taken hostage by a man she trusts. Five years later she escapes, vowing never to trust another man. Now she’s an adult and she’s kept the promise she made to herself as a child, keeping men at a distance. 

Carter Johnston is talented and charming. A photographer well known for his ability to capture the true essence of his subjects. When Carter is assigned to photograph Aspen for an article in a prominent magazine, the connection between them is undeniable. 

Aspen is drawn to Carter’s charm and artistic ability. As they grow closer, the walls Aspen has built around her heart for years begin to crumble. Until she finds a photograph in Carter’s house which catapults her back to her time in captivity. A photograph Carter shouldn’t have. 

Will the truth cause her to shut down or will he finally break through? 


Break through is an easy, light read, with a hint of dark, dramatic, with heavy issues. I honestly thought it was going to be a really down, angsty novel but it was really fun to read. It had a huge twist in it towards the end, and I kept thinking all the way through that Carter had something to do with the bloke who kidnapped her. I just kept thinking the novel was going to end in another tragedy. The author showed me wrong aha. I was totally off base. So NO spoilers here. 
The ending was brilliant. I loved it. I also loved the characters. They were easy to relate to. Well, Aspen not so much, as I've never been kidnapped, but you know what I mean. 

The mother kind of irritated me, I could understand her need to protect her after what happened, but not that much. Plus, there is a situation (without spoiling) between Aspen and her mother. I wish the author made that clearer. Aspen has some worries over her mom, and her mom gives her a certain answer, but it never explained what she overheard. It annoyed me a little. 
There were a few things in the novel that didn't add up, but then, it can be easily overlooked. 

Overall I rated the novel a 4*

Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment