Sunday 10 November 2013

Going under By S.Walden


Going Under

Brooke Wright has only two goals her senior year at Charity Run High School: stay out of trouble and learn to forgive herself for the past. Forgiveness proves elusive, and trouble finds her anyway when she discovers a secret club at school connected to the death of her best friend. She learns that swim team members participate in a "Fantasy Slut League," scoring points for their sexual acts with unsuspecting girls.

Brooke, wracked with guilt over her friend's death, decides to infiltrate the league by becoming one of the "unsuspecting girls," and exact revenge on the boys who stole away her best friend. An unexpected romance complicates her plans, and her dogged pursuit of justice turns her reckless as she underestimates just how far the boys will go to keep their sex club a secret.

(Please take the content warning seriously: This is a New Adult fiction book with mature themes. It contains graphic sex and language and an explicit description of sexual violence.)...........


This book was, i don't even know how to describe it. 
 I will be honest i didn't read the description when i read it back in April, i wasn't thinking. I had been given recommendations from a friend and this was one, so i never thought anything of it. That was until i got into the book. 

I couldn't get over how selfish and self centered Brooke was. I didn't really relate, or understand her. 
 Even after her friends deaf she was still selfish. Why didn't she report her friends rape ? why did she still, after knowing what happened to her, still carry on sleeping with her best friends boyfriend. I couldn't get my head around it. 
 Even when she goes to her new school on a mission to find her friend justice it was all about her and finding forgiveness. It wasn't about Beth or the fact there was a group of boys abusing young girls. 
Why she never went to the police was beyond me too. The book made me so angry it really did. Half the time i wanted to scream at Brooke, she drove me mad, she had so many chances to go to the police with evidence that she had, but she didn't.     

 The book had me feeling sick to my stomach and i have to admit i had to skip the ending, where the incident happens. I knew what was going to happen and i couldn't bring myself to read it and i wondered why anyone else would. 
This is where i think the Author did an amazing job writing this novel because she knew there would be conflict about it. She wrote it with deepest emotion and really brought the whole situation to another light. To me she was brave to write about such a tough subject. That said i think she did brilliant. 
It had me on emotional roller coaster, i hated Brooke but then felt deeply for her. I felt so sick when i got towards the ending and for me it when i drew a line and skipped to the justice part. 
 I was just happy Brooke got a happy ending and was able to move forward with her life. 
I thing the Author was right in her letter to readers, things like this aren't ever spoken about so publicly. That the whole subject wasn't intended to upset anyone or make them angry. 
 She also include Rape helplines after her letter. 

Lisa 

I hope in my review i do not offend the Author or anyone else. This is my opinion and mine alone. Yet if i have offended anyone i will apologies  now '' I am sorry'' 

Have you read this book ? what did you think ? 


Follow This Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment